Well unfortunately I was quick to assume. The custom video-amdgpu isn't
getting used even though I expected it to be. Instead it seems my
fiddling with mesa and drm and a reboot fixed it.

I am currently using the latest stable mesa (11.1.0)
and the latest code in the drm repo (d6ffb997263402eebdcb029e061ae0221925f643)

Some of the parts from building xorg are also still sitting around but
there are too many to really keep track of. The x server seems to be
using some of these libraries as well which any number of them could
have fixed the issue.

I am going to close this issue as I expect the bug is too hard to repeat
and a simple fresh install would probably clear things up.

** Changed in: xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu (Ubuntu)

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu in Ubuntu.

  Segfault at address 0x0