Created attachment 120893
DP debugging

Tom, I would bother you again to provide some debugging info. From the
dmesg you sent it seems that you are experiencing a lot of hpd
interrupts. When that happens the driver checks if the DP channel
equalization is still ok. On your case, channel equalization is not ok
yielding DP link to be retrained. Of course, this causes flickering as
the DP link is broken for some time. The patch I'm proposing for
debugging purposes applies on top of the latest -nightly and on top of
these previous patches

https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/patch/69394/
https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/patch/69395/
https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/patch/69396/

The patch adds more verbose debug information on channel equalization
and limits the DP link retraining to 5. After 5 attempts to retrain the
link you probably end up having a non-flickering display or a black
screen. Please, report back with dmesg.

which is subscribed to libdrm in Ubuntu.

  Screen flickering in Intel i915 driver