Regarding my post #24, I think a better workaround, instead of changing
.Xmodmap,
 is to add the following line to the file:

~/.xinputrc

xinput set-button-map "ImPS/2 Generic Wheel Mouse" 1 2 3 5 4 6 7

in this way only the two-finger scrolling  direction of the unrecognized
touchpad will be inverted, while the wheel scrolling direction of an external
mouse will not be modified.

In addition, due to some bug in unity/gnome not all the applications interpret
correctly  .xinputrc/.Xmodmap commands. So for example chrome/firefox will be
ok, but nautilus windows will still use the "natural" scrolling, regardless of
.xinputrc/.Xmodmap content.
I did not find a solution to solve these inconsistencies.

The only real solution will be of course a proper support of our
touchpad at kernel level

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-input-synaptics in Ubuntu.

  Touchpad not recognized on Dell Latitude E7470 Ultrabook