The previously posted Juan workaround also worked for me too on the Dell
XPS 15 running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. Thank you all.  :-)

Patch system first, then do the following fixes posted by Juan and
others (see previous posts).

sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-input-libinput
sudo apt-get remove --purge xserver-xorg-input-synaptics

vim /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/90-libinput.conf

  InputClass #Inside the sections for pointer and touchpad
    Option "NaturalScrolling" "true"  #note I used this
    Option "AccelSpeed" "-0.5"        #note I tried this - made mouse too slow
- commented it.

Reboot.

  Mouse pointer occasionally jumps to the bottom-left corner