Brandon MacEachern:
>"This issue was not a problem before 16.04, and so far since being on 16.10,
>it's gone away again."

That largely addresses my request from #5, and gives me additional,
helpful information regarding a regression.

Given the issue is addressed in 16.10, and folks who use 16.04 may
utilize the 16.10+ kernel/xorg stack from
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack, this is considered
Fix Released as defined in https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Status.

Also, while I understand your passion towards this issue given your
friend, they way you are expressing it comes across as abrasive, and not
welcoming to folks who take an interest in the problem.

** Package changed: xorg (Ubuntu) => xserver-xorg-video-intel (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: xserver-xorg-video-intel (Ubuntu)

  Google Chrome flickers badly on web pages