Ok, so I think part of the problem is that the kernel hibmc driver needs
to use a set_busid function from the drm core. I've simulated this
change in the debugger, and it seems to at least prevent the crash. (It
doesn't seem to be enough for the server to work, still working on
that.)

Here's a patch - we can discuss the best way to build and install it.

** Patch added: "0001-Use-standard-busid-function-from-drm-core.patch"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+bug/1691991/+attachment/4887275/+files/0001-Use-standard-busid-function-from-drm-core.patch

  Xorg Segmentation fault on Hisilicon D05 board (arm64)