The Mesa drivers only support OpenGL 4.5 Core mode, they don't support
OpenGL 4.5 Compatibility mode. It's odd but for some reason they only
support OpenGL 3.3 Compatibility mode, and the developers have stated
they don't intend on changing it. So games and other software that
require higher Compatibility modes will never run on Mesa.

There are some environment variables, MESA_GLSL_VERSION_OVERRIDE and
MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE, that make the drivers report a higher
compatibility mode but since the underlying functionality is still
missing they don't work.

In any case I have a Sapphire Nitro R9-390 so I'm trying to work out a
deal a crypto-miner to exchange it for an Nvidia GPU. Unfortunately AMD
is only fully functional for crypto-mining under Linux at this time, and
since AMDGPU-PRO will be a mess for the next few years and the open
source drivers will never be fully functional I'm giving up on AMD.
Thank you for your help but I've lived with a crippled GPU for almost a
year now and I have to acknowledge there's no viable option left other
than surrender. It's not Ubuntu's fault, AMD simply abandoned its loyal
customers.

which is subscribed to libepoxy in Ubuntu.

  New libepoxy0 causes hang at boot