Francois,

As a simple workaround, I'm sure you know already, you can install the
previous version:

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libinput/1.9.4-2/+build/13868617/+files/libinput10_1.9.4-2_amd64.deb

I think you can also configure your system to keep that older version
installed, but I'm not familiar with pinning.

The version "1.9.4-2ubuntu1" that's problematic for you is actually the
first version that works properly for many other laptops. In my
experience most of them were unusably laggy and unresponsive without
that patch. And at last count 11% of all upstream bug reports to
libinput were complaints from people about the laggy unresponsive
behaviour. So I believe many more people will benefit from the new
version than will experience regressions like you do.

The way forward here is to wait for the libinput developers to request
diagnostic information from you about your touchpad hardware, so they
can build in a permanent solution for you.

As an alternative to all the libinput issues, you can simply:
 1. Install package: xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
 2. Only log in to "Ubuntu on Xorg" so that driver is used (libinput won't be
used).
 3. Tweak your preferences with the command 'synclient'
 4. Start app "Startup Applications" and insert the synclient command with your
preferences there.

** Summary changed:

- [Bionic] 1.9.4-2ubuntu1 makes touchpad jumpy
+ [Bionic] 1.9.4-2ubuntu1 makes touchpad jumpy on Dell Precision 7510

which is subscribed to libinput in Ubuntu.

  [Bionic] 1.9.4-2ubuntu1 makes touchpad jumpy on Dell Precision 7510