Sorry for the long delay in responding - had to wait for some other
things to finish so I could switch from Xorg to Wayland. The same types
of pauses/lags/freezes happen to me under Wayland using mpv as were
happening under Xorg. They may be slightly less frequent (subjective
judgment, no actual counts done), but they still occur.

Also, I find that I am unable to close mpv under Wayland. Alt-F4 does
nothing, nor does going to the Window menu and choosing Quit. The video
continues, and I am not sure exactly what else to use to close it (other
than just waiting for it to finish running) - I don't know much about
mpv. Closing wasn't a problem under Xorg - either of the two methods
mentioned above worked there. Just throwing that out there for
consideration.

which is subscribed to mesa in Ubuntu.

  Video freezes and stutters when using totem (audio continues fine)