Charlie, yes I would recommend using mpv instead of totem. mpv will
perform better and is the only other video player that will take
advantage of Intel hardware acceleration properly [2]. I do _not_
recommend gnome-mpv [1] and also do _not_ recommend vlc because it seems
to be lacking in hardware acceleration. I have no experience with
SMPlayer, but please see also [2].

Tracy, the mpv close issue is bug 1720835.

I think we should merge this into bug 1698270 now.

[1] https://community.ubuntu.com/t/hardware-accelerated-video-playback/304/4
[2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IntelQuickSyncVideo

   Totem pauses and stutters during video playback even when CPU usage is low

which is subscribed to mesa in Ubuntu.

  Video freezes and stutters when using totem (audio continues fine)