Curtis, what I did was 1. I updated the system: the packages are not
"held" on my system, so I got the new xorg-server and the new mesa
libraries 2. I rebooted the computer and noticed that the XFCE menu is
broken, it behaved the same as without the fix 3. after downgrading mesa
libraries (see comment #21) and rebooting the computer again the menus
were OK

this problem has visually different symptoms than bug #1780664 - in that
bug, the menus were not visible at all, in this bug, the menus are
there, but with strange colours and the text disappears, there are
screenshots in this bug. so I think this is a different problem with the
same mesa update, which is similar but not quite the same

@David McKelvie: what about you, did the xserver-common update work for
you?

which is subscribed to mesa in Ubuntu.

  After update 2018-07-08 menus and buttons are behaving badly