> If the document is long enough
> that scrolling acceleration is needed, the application (or toolkit) should
> honor that and provide the appropriate methods - that may include
> acceleration.
> libinput sits too low to have the semantic awareness here. For example,
> scrolling events during alt-tab switch between applications but libinput
> doesn't know that, it merely forwards the hardware events.

You have a point there, libinput will always lack the semantic awareness
and thus not provide an ideal solution.

But I'll have to disagree. In an ideal world, you can offload
acceleration to the app/toolkit. But since we have tons of legacy
applications or developers unaware or unwilling to implement
acceleration, they'll never receive the benefits. And even if they
implement it, you get lots of duplicated efforts and functionality
between apps.

If  acceleration depends on the toolkit/application, I fear it'll remain
a toy for select applications on modern distros only.

  [KDE] no option for mouse wheel acceleration