The thing is I am really afraid of upgrading the BIOS just to give it a
shot because of this:

"Just update XPS 9575 Bios on the week of Sept 9, now the laptop is
totally unresponsive, not able to power on, totally black screen, no
light comes on, fans won't kick on, no Dell logo shows. Tried many ways,
many times to enter the bios recovery mode suggested by Dell and other
websites, but nothing works. The computer is dead now. Very, very
frustrated."

###

Apparently the track pad issue affects Windows as well:

"I'm a Dell xps 9575 user running windows 10 fam 64. I can report that
the track pads works absolutely inconsistantly: Mouse icon gets immobile
at random moments wich is accompanied by unresponsible click. I'm
running on bios 1.7.1 since one hour with no change compared to 1.5.1
and the previous bios didn't work either. I wish I could install ubuntu
mate but the laptop belongs to my son. Windows update, intel driver and
dell driver detects no upgrade to be done. The frozen trackpad issue
seem to come from excessive chest pressure that bends the bottom of the
trackpad and it also seems that the mouse gets back to life when bending
the other way:both thumbs under track pad with fingers under
palmrests..."

###

Does anyone have an "effective" workaround at the moment (and with which
BIOS?), like pointed out earlier here?:

"This is still a problem on the newly released 1.6.1 BIOS. Workaround
for all versions with this issue - hit FN+END to enter sleep (or close
the lid, by default this will enter sleep mode), then wake it back up.
Input will work properly after that."

###

All comments from:
https://www.notebookchat.com/index.php/topic,96952.0.html?language
=english-utf8

which is subscribed to libinput in Ubuntu.

  [Dell BIOSes dated 27 Mar 2019, XPS 9575, Precision 5530 2-in-1]
  laptop keyboard & touchpad not working at gdm screen after boot