I've wasted a lot of time with the mmio registers to find out why things
go slow. But it seems it's something else.

Just loading the nvidia kernel module without starting X is enough to
make nouveau go fast after kexec.

I did an mmio trace while loading the module, but it only wrote 140 to
0, and that was all. I've checked the PCI config space, also nothing
interesting.

Any tips how to find out what happens?

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-nouveau in Ubuntu.

  Garbage on X display w/ Dell D800 wuxga & nouveau driver (Nvidia
  GeForce4 Ti 4200 Go AGP rev a1 [NV28])