> > Option 3 could definately tell if it's only used for a particular memory
> > configuration of this chip, or it's more general (e.g. first 2 options).
>
> I've fired off a question to NVIDIA, hopefully they'll respond. Sometimes
> they respond ~immediately, other times it takes two months, but so far they
> haven't dropped anything on the floor.

Well, now that it's more than a year, I think the floor can be considered the
likely destination.  It would be nice to have an answer, but it's no longer
likely.

I think a fall-back to #2 (set the bit for N28 chips) is the most
reasonable. If all the other chips needed it, we'd have seen a flood of
bug reports by now.  It's not as if this bug isn't obvious.  X is
unusable until it's fixed.

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-nouveau in Ubuntu.

  Garbage on X display w/ Dell D800 wuxga & nouveau driver (Nvidia
  GeForce4 Ti 4200 Go AGP rev a1 [NV28])