I also have this problem. Everything unaccelerated comes up as trash,
even on the kernel framebuffer (if acceleration was switched off). Or
for example I can see most of the graphics ok, but if I use ShadowFB
then the whole screen is unusable. And the cursor is garbage too most of
the time.

This is nothing new, but I found a way to make it work.

I have two systems installed (latest debian/testing). I boot the first
one to X with the nvidia drivers. Then I use kexec to boot into the
second system (also debian/testing), which is using nouveau. And at this
time, all the graphics are fine!

So something is initialized by the nvidia driver, which is not touched
by nouveau but is required for correct operation.

Is there a way I could help? Like dumping register states with/without
the nvidia init?

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-nouveau in Ubuntu.

  Garbage on X display w/ Dell D800 wuxga & nouveau driver (Nvidia
  GeForce4 Ti 4200 Go AGP rev a1 [NV28])