In comment #50, I said having the proprietary drivers aren't necessary.
I was wrong, but I thought it was true because I had the problem on an
nvidia system without manually installing the nvidia drivers.

I just learned from an episode of the Ubuntu Podcast that since Ubuntu
19.10, proprietary drivers are included with the ISO, and that they're
automatically enabled when you check the "install third-party software"
option during install. That's interesting, because it means that the
conditions for encountering this bug are:

1. Have a system with an affected nvidia graphics card.
2. Check both "enable automatic login" and "install third-party software"
during install.

I don't know the stats, but I would bet most people check the third-
party software box, and that lots of people want automatic login. In my
opinion, this makes the issue significantly more important, because
people will encounter this issue without entering "Additional Drivers"
and manually enabling the proprietary drivers.

Especially considering there's a simple workaround available ("nvidia-
drm.modeset=1" in GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX) which doesn't affect any features,
I think it would be good to get a hotfix out there before the upstream
nvidia proprietary drivers are fixed.

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers-390 in Ubuntu.

  [nvidia] Automatic login fails and then all subsequent logins fail.
  Killing gnome-session-binary fixes it, or just not using automatic
  login.