A very similar bug has started affecting me since I upgraded to Ubuntu
20.04.

On my laptop (Dell XPS 15 9560) I am unable to decrypt my harddrive
because the keyboard is unresponsive so I can't enter the password.

I have found a workaround for that issue, which is to boot in recovery
mode (the keyboard works in the grub menu), then drop to a root shell
and run `reboot`. Upon reboot the keyboard works and lets me decrypt the
drive and log in.

It does not work to enter the grub menu and choose normal boot, nor does
it work if I do a hard reboot after booting in recovery mode.

During a Gnome session the keyboard and touchpad will occasionally
become unresponsive as well. The workaround here is to press the power
button - this brings up the logout dialog, which causes the touchpad and
keyboard to work again.

which is subscribed to libinput in Ubuntu.

  [Dell BIOSes dated 27 Mar 2019, XPS 9575, Precision 5530 2-in-1]
  laptop keyboard & touchpad not working at gdm screen after boot