Still less than twenty-four hours since the upgrade, still no crashes
after it. But I found a workaround for the missing characters bug. Just
switch to the Lubuntu desktop instead of the (GNOME) Ubuntu one. Might
still want to report that bug to IBus or Xorg or whatever was causing
the keypresses to get lost. So if you know how to figure out which
package I should be reporting it about, that would be nice.

  Xorg crashed with SIGSEGV in mieqEnqueue() from queueEventList() from
  QueueKeyboardEvents() from xf86PostKeyEventM() from
  xf86PostKeyboardEvent()