For what its worth, I am experiencing the exact same symptoms as
described after updating from 22.10 which worked fine to 23.04 this am.
My machine however is a HP Proliant Microserver Gen 8. This uses built
in Matrox G200eH2 graphics controller. I have tried installing sudo apt
install xserver-xorg-video-mga and removing them sudo apt remove
xserver-xorg-video-mga   to allow ubuntu todefault back to whatever.
lspci still shows the mga drivers. After spending15 hours on this I am
going to try to revert back to 22.10 and put up with the pain of
reinstalling whatever... this is a nightmare.

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers-390 in Ubuntu.

  ASUS N56VM fails to load GUI fresh install of Ubuntu 23.04