Public bug reported:

(I am not sure if xwayland is at fault or the session or window manager
or the browser apps. It happens under Wayland using gnome-session and
gnome-shell and to both Firefox and Chrome browser windows, but not to
any other app.  These are the only browsers I use.)

After using a browser for a while (both Chrome and Firefox), the
transparent "halo" around one or more (but not generally all) of its
windows may acquire an opaque color.  This is usually an image of
whatever was behind the window when the bug triggers, but eventually
gets filled in as all black.

Sometimes when this happens, resizing it larger and smaller clears the
problem, sometimes not.

Sometimes when this happens, resizing the window larger will result in
the window staying the same size and place, but the border expanding
into a larger black background rectangle, without the window resizing at
all.

Sometimes when this happens, resizing the window smaller will result in
the window image being truncated without resizing, and upon resizing
larger again, the window maintains its small, truncated size, sitting in
the corner of a larger black rectangle.  If the portion including the
titlebar buttons in the upper-right gets truncated, it becomes
impossible to click maximize, iconify, or close.

A workaround is to open a new browser window, select all the tabs, and
drag them to the new window. That window will act normally for a while
(a few days?) and then may be susceptible to the bug.  The windows that
have this happen to them seem to be the most-used ones, so maybe it's
related to the number of user window interactions or moving between
monitors.  I have some browser windows with tabs I use only rarely.
These stay minimized most of the time and rarely if ever suffer from the
problem.

If it matters, I use sloppy focus.  This is the only substantive change
from default install.

Obviously, expected behavior is not to have any of these things happen.

ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 22.04
Package: xwayland 2:22.1.1-1ubuntu0.6
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 6.2.0-32.32~22.04.1-generic 6.2.16
Uname: Linux 6.2.0-32-generic x86_64
NonfreeKernelModules: zfs zunicode zavl icp zcommon znvpair
ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu82.5
Architecture: amd64
CasperMD5CheckResult: pass
CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
Date: Wed Sep 13 14:37:17 2023
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS "Jammy Jellyfish" - Release amd64
(20230223)
ProcEnviron:
 TERM=xterm-256color
 PATH=(custom, no user)
 XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
 LANG=en_us.ut...@cdate.utf-8
 SHELL=/bin/bash
SourcePackage: xwayland

** Affects: xwayland (Ubuntu)

** Tags: amd64 apport-bug jammy wayland-session

which is subscribed to xwayland in Ubuntu.

  browser windows get thick black border, resize badly