Some residual compiz packages were still installed; roughly 7 -> I'm
sorry I don't remember which ones. I logged back in via the trusted
XUbuntu screen (which I will be searching how to change to the Ubuntu
default). I was prompted that there was incomplete language support so
I'm installing English, Italian, German and Spanish (for no other reason
than I had removed some in an effort to conserve disk-space)

Not the worst upgrade ever, certainly not what I expected after another
machine I had installed cleanly.

--
Gnome Freezes -- Ubuntu 9.10 -- big time freezes.
which is a direct subscriber.