I encountered a similar problem with my Ubuntu computer locking up. I
had previously been using Ubuntu 8.10 and I think I had Effects disable,
but I had to do a fresh install of 9.10 because I could not get 9.04 to
work on my computer. When I upgraded to 9.04 the system would freeze up
also including while Update Manager was running which made the system
unbootable.

In any case, based on the comments posted here, I have removed all
packages with compiz in the name. The system now seems to be running
fine. I don't think I've ever used the Desktop Effects so I'm not
missing anything. My computer has an ATI Radeon X1300 (RV515).

--
Gnome Freezes -- Ubuntu 9.10 -- big time freezes.
which is a direct subscriber.