Getting new error message on startup after rming xorg.conf from
/etc/X11.

You are rinning in low-graphics mode.
The following errors were encountered.  You may need to update your
configuration to solve this.
(EE) open /dev/fb0:no such file or directory.
(EE) Failed to initialize GLX extension(Compatible NVIDIA driver not found).

Didn't think rming xorg.conf would cause this but regenerat itself.  Apparently
not.
Tried to run nvidia-settings but is said something to the effect that nvidia
driver was not installed and to run
nvidia-config which I did  It generated one of the old style xorg.conf files
shown below and so far have rebooted twice without
any low-res messages or any error messages.  I know that several reboots are
needed without any errors before it can be called a fix.
Here is the new xorg.conf generated by nvidia-config:

lch...@karmic-desktop:/etc/X11$ cat xorg.conf
# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig:  version 1.0  (buildmeis...@builder58)  Fri Aug 14 18:33:37
PDT 2009

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Layout0"
    Screen      0  "Screen0"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "Unknown"
    HorizSync       28.0 - 33.0
    VertRefresh     43.0 - 72.0
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

lch...@karmic-desktop:/etc/X11$

Hope this helps and fixes the issue.  Hope also that someone is reading
this bug report and it hasn't died.  Would appreciate some feedback just
so I know it is being monitored and worked on.  Be glad to supply any
info needed when requested.

--
proprietary nvidia driver does not work under karmic
which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers-180 in ubuntu.