Leonard: I have all of the nvidia*185* packages installed, and my card
is listed as supported.  All packages installed without issue, the
module built successfully, etc.  If I knew how to get more information
about why the module was not loading, that would be helpful.  I actually
never get a "low graphics mode" message; kdm runs but X fails to start
(aborts) because it can't load the nvidia driver.  When I remove the
xorg.conf file which nvidia-xconfig creates, X and KDM start correctly,
using the NV driver.

I haven't yet tried going through this involved procedure (which, of
course, shouldn't be necessary) to install the latest one directly from
NVidia: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=3107406.0

--
proprietary nvidia driver does not work under karmic
which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers-180 in ubuntu.