It looks like I posted too soon. Removing the compiz packages did not
get rid of the locking up problem. My system ran for a while and then
locked up again. When it locked up a couple of the lights on my keyboard
flashed so I decided to try disconnecting my KVM switch. I have now run
the system about twice as long as after my last post and it hasn't
locked up.

In my case the problem appears to have been the KVM switch.

--
Gnome Freezes -- Ubuntu 9.10 -- big time freezes.
which is a direct subscriber.