I have the same problem with an imac 24 since I upgraded to karmic.
I have the problem with my current account and an a new account on karmic. I do
that to verify if the problem is due to my local .XXX files.

What I noticed also tha the number of popups depends on success to my
local .Xmodmap file. If .Xmodap loaded only 1 or 2 error popup window,
if not 5 to 6 error popups at login.

** Attachment added: "Snapshot of  pop up error window"
   http://launchpadlibrarian.net/35845281/pb_clavier1.png

--
Macbook/Macbook Pro keyboard layout throws error
which is subscribed to xkeyboard-config in ubuntu.