I noticed in my .xessions-errors file an error message on xmodap :
Start IM through /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/all_ALL linked to
/etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/default.
/usr/bin/xmodmap:  unable to open file
'/usr/share/kubuntu-default-settings/kubuntu.xmodmap' for reading
/usr/bin/xmodmap:  1 error encountered, aborting.

Why he looks on kubtuntu default settings. I upgraded from jaunty to karmic. On
jaunty i first insatlled ubuntu tnah kubuntu meta package. That point can be
related to the problem ?

** Attachment added: "Xsession-errors log at login (with xmodmap errors)"
   http://launchpadlibrarian.net/35845698/xsession-errors

--
Macbook/Macbook Pro keyboard layout throws error
which is subscribed to xkeyboard-config in ubuntu.