I've managed to reproduce this bug, and done a workaround. I am using an
ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 card, and essentially, you have to disable
"DRI" for the "radeon" driver.

My hardware:
- Dell Inspiron 600m laptop
- Processor Pentium M 725 1.60GHz Processor, 2MB L2-Cache
- RAM 768MB
- Graphics card ATI Mobility RADEON 9000 AGP 4X video graphics at 32MB

My OS and drivers:
- Distro Kubuntu Linux 9.10 "Karmic Koala"
- Kernel 2.6.31-16-generic
- libgl1-mesa drivers (from official repositories as I don't know where to
download and compile):
  - libgl1-mesa-dri - 7.6.0-1ubuntu4(i386)
  - libgl1-mesa-glx - 7.6.0-1ubuntu4(i386)

Blender versions tried (downloaded from Blender site):
- Blender v2.49b
- Blender v2.5-alpha0

How to workaround this bug:
1. Put the attached xorg.conf as /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Actually the only
effective line is the one that changes "DRI" to "false".
2. Restart X or reboot.
3. Run blender (it worked for both the versions I tried).
4. With DRI off, you may notice that windows are not drawn correctly, graphics
are a little slower, etc. But Blender works.

** Attachment added: "xorg.conf to be put as /etc/X11/xorg.conf to turn off DRI"
   http://launchpadlibrarian.net/37213129/xorg.conf

--
blender-bin crashed with SIGSEGV in GPU_state_init()
which is subscribed to mesa in ubuntu.