I also installed mesa drivers (same version as above) from x-swat at
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat/+archive/x-updates.
My hardware is Thinkpad T41 with ATI Radeon Mobility 9000 (M9) Lf (AGP) chipset
32MB.

With new drivers, Blender v2.49b works, but version 2.5-alpha0 still segfaults
after producing following error:
[driAllocateTexture:635] unable to allocate texture

This is odd, since the graphics card seems to be the same as above.

Also tried to take a backtrace with gdb, but this time it freezed my
computer entirely.. :(

--
blender-bin crashed with SIGSEGV in GPU_state_init()
which is subscribed to mesa in ubuntu.