What an irony - my laptop just hung when I was trying to put in a
comment to this very bug! :-(

> but think it is the new Intel chip set drivers
Yes, it seems to be the driver problem. Which means that it is the code
regression and it needs to be fixed. However, despite the fact that the bug
affects quite a number of users and has been open more than three months ago it
hasn't caught enough attention from the dev. community.

It seems that the only option at this point is to roll-back to 9.04 and
forget about the upstream releases for a while :-( Quite frustrating...

--
[i915gm] [jaunty,karmic] X freezes every day or so
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-intel in ubuntu.