I was also able to verify that an i845 system is stable with:
libdrm 2.4.9
xserver-xorg-video-intel 2.7.0

I've now uploaded version 2.7.1 of the intel driver. It should be built
and available within a hour.

Geir, thank you reminding me about the situation with EXA and UXA. I'll
make sure to test UXA+KMS on the i845 I have access to, to make sure we
didn't already pass the bad commit. I have a so far 100% reliable way to
reproduce the freeze on that system (I run Bejeweled Twist under wine).

The next version to test after 2.7.1 (assuming 2.7.1 is good) will
default to UXA if KMS is enabled, and I'll remind everyone at that time
to re-enable KMS.

--
[i845G] Karmic stops responding a few minutes after log in
which is the registrant for xf86-video-intel.