I'm still not certain if this is the most appropriate place to post
about the bug. I am unable to run Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Ubuntu UNR 9.10 live
CDs so I am thinking this is a significant bug.

This evening I was eventually able to stop the flickering with sudo stop gdm.
sudo nano etc/X11/xorg.conf listed the vesa driver. With Ubuntu 9.10 I use on
my hard drive I use the current recommended nvidia ver 185 driver.
If I sudo start gdm then the flickering returns.

--
upgrade breaks graphic drivers and x, preventing login or startx
which is subscribed to xorg in ubuntu.