I've had the 'Option "modeSwitch" "new"' in xorg.conf already.

What is happening with the 2.6.32-12-generic kernel is that the screen
starts getting dark (mostly dark gray) after selecting the recovery
mode, but I can type commands 'blind' to start up Xorg - first
selecting the root shell from the menu, then entering my root
password, then running a script which starts up some daemons - and
then the login screen will appear. So it doesn't really hang up in
recovery mode, I just can't see what I am typing.

The time it takes to get dark seems to vary. I think this is a viafb
driver problem - does that sound right? Up to a day or so ago, the
Xorg.0.log was showing a failure to find viafb when booting failed, a
number of times. Now I've been seeing situations where Xorg.0.log is
empty, instead.

I'm sending this from another computer - I'll log in to launchpad on
the laptop and attach the .xsession-errors and latest  Xorg.0.log
files now.

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 11:31 PM, Bartosz <gan...@poczta.onet.pl> wrote:
> To resolve this problem you must enable newModeSwitch.
> Unfortunately it doesn't work properly on chipset K8M800.
> Please try to enable the newModeSwitch on working openchrome - on kernel
> which works (I should know that this is not kernel problem).
>
> To enable new mode switch, add to your xorg.conf file following line on the
> latest openchrome revision:
>   Option "modeSwitch" "new"
>
> The system hangs after restart, but please attach the Xorg.0.log file from it.
> Attach your ~/.xsession-errors file
>
> --
> [K8M800] Screen origin shifted to center, screen wraps, ttyN screens don't
> work, on Averatec 3280 running Lucid with openchrome driver
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/495553
> You received this bug notification because you are a direct subscriber
> of the bug.

That's why you have a UNIX or Linux or BSD server for backups.

SMAUG: http://scruz.org/
My Web:http://littlegreenmen.armory.com/~peterbe/
UBUNTU 10.04 LTS April 2010
  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LucidLynx

--
[K8M800] Screen origin shifted to center, screen wraps, ttyN screens don't
work, on Averatec 3280 running Lucid with openchrome driver
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-openchrome in ubuntu.