Note that running 'lspci -vvk' tells me:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. K8M800/K8N800/K8N800A
[S3 UniChrome Pro] (rev 01)
        Subsystem: TWINHEAD INTERNATIONAL Corp Device 0315
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
        Latency: 64 (500ns min)
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 16
        Region 0: Memory at f4000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
        Region 1: Memory at fd000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
        Expansion ROM at fe2f0000 [disabled] [size=64K]
        Capabilities: <access denied>
        Kernel driver in use: viafb
        Kernel modules: viafb

Also, I can remove the 'Driver "openchrome"' line from xorg.conf and the
display works as before, with no reference to openchrome.

Another thing I just noticed, having just done that but also having done
various apt-get updates, that it is now Alt F8 that switches from tty
consoles to X, instead of Alt F7.

The tty consoles still show random colors, and do not function.

--
[K8M800] Screen origin shifted to center, screen wraps, ttyN screens don't
work, on Averatec 3280 running Lucid with openchrome driver