Upon reinstalling the driver after the lagginess came back, rebooting
gave me the other symptom; the random colors and the shifted vertical
display. I've then booted into recovery mode, removed the newly created
xorg.conf, and rebooted.

At the moment, I'm running in a lowly 720x400 (not so nice if you're on
a 22" 1680x1050 screen). The bug still affects me.

--
Using NVIDIA drivers in Lucid causes display shift and flicker, or extreme
slowness with compiz