Yep, the above ppa is what I used to to revert the driver back as well
-- sorry for not replying sooner. For those wishing to test whether
reverting will help them, I recommend that you also have a look here:
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/intel-graphics-performance-guide-for-
ubuntu-904-jaunty-users.html -- and read the instructions on how to
configure xorg.conf to improve performance, as I did encounter quite a
major drop in performance after reverting from the driver in Lucid
(which worked great, apart from the crashing), and I figure that others
might too.

On another note, it has been several days now, and still no crashes or
hangs. Hopefully if more people test this potential fix and report on
the results, it might throw some light on a more permanent fix, as Bryce
said.

--
MASTER: [i845] GPU lockup (apport-crash) (Should KMS be blacklisted?)
which is the registrant for xf86-video-intel.