Okay, here's what I found.

When I boot into recovery mode, the nvidia module is already loaded, but
the device nodes don't exist. I then unload and reload the nvidia
module. Nothing special happens, except for the warning "WARNING: Could
not find old name in /lib/modules/2.6.32-19-generic/updates/dkms/nvidia-
current.ko to replace!" Then I start x. After I start x, the device
nodes have been created. I used the attached shell script to automate
the process. Out of 36 boots, the results were:

31 successful starts of X
2 cases where I never got a shell prompt
2 cases where X failed to start, but I wasn't set up to do the logging
1 case where I think I got the necessary information. Not completely sure about
this one, however, because it was one of my first attempts. I was still messing
around with the perl script, and I wasn't paying close enough attention to what
was happening.

In all cases, I was doing warm reboots.

I will post a log from a case where X worked, and the one where it
failed.

** Attachment added: "perl script used for testing"
   http://launchpadlibrarian.net/45213772/foo

--
after upgrade to lucid, xorg frequently fails to start properly using
nvidia-current