Hi, new here, not sure if this has been fixed or not but it seems that I
have this same problem.  Whenever I try to boot from the live cd, it
loads (at least), and shows all the menus and stuff but there is no text
and it looks like an old nintendo game that backfires (you know, colors
off, random artifacts etc. etc.).  I tried booting noapic and acpi=off
and a whole slew of other options (everything as mentioned in the posts
above)...to no avail.  Anyway, I know it has to do with graphics
(obviously) and I have an nvidia gtx 280.  I've had problems with nvidia
in the past, but I've always had a safe graphics mode.  Why doesn't this
release have one?  That's confusing to me as I always had to rely on
that in order to install linux anyway.  I digress, I'd love it if there
were some way to fix the problem I'm having.  You guys are great, keep
up the good work!

--
10.4 RC Live CD - Blank screen with Radeon 5870
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-ati in ubuntu.