Jonathan - when I last looked (i.e. a couple of weeks ago), I couldn't
find anything. I can post log files, if you let me know which ones ...

There seem to be several other people with this issue,
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9496737&postcount=550 and see
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9496998&postcount=552. One thing
people mentioned in this thread (almost 600 posts about system freezes,
albeit there seem to be a number of different reasons) is that it should
be still possible to ssh into a 'frozen' machine. I haven't tried it
yet, though ...

--
Ubuntu 10.04 random freezes
which is subscribed to xorg-server in ubuntu.