I am still having this problem with the latest nvidia drivers.

At nearly every boot nvidia fails to load and gdm tries to run a
failsafe xsession.

Unfortunately, there's nothing of importance in either the xorg or
kernel logs. The kernel log has no mention of any failure at all and
xorg's log just says nvidia failed to load and I should contact support
and read my kernel log....

If I exit to terminal, i can start gdm with either "sudo gdm" or "sudo
service gdm start" and everything runs normally.

Could this be a mistake in user/group permissions?

Perhaps gdm is being started by a system account that has somehow lost
permission to load nvidia.

** Tags added: amd64 gdm login nvidia

--
nvidia driver sometime does not load at boot
which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers in ubuntu.