@Seth: Please join us over at bug #625239. I'd love to see one of your
failing Xorg.0.logs and a plymouth-debug.log if you could manage it in
order to compare them to those contributed by Jamie and Dino. In Dino's
case we can see that gdm is trying to follow plymouth to plymouth's tty
(which should be tty7), but there is confusion somewhere.

You may also want to take a look at closed karmic bug #396226. It
explains why starting on the same tty as getty is bad news, though I
think the reason is that the restart of getty sets the ISIG flag on the
shared terminal rather than an issue of control. When I set this flag
manually on tty7 from another terminal I can go back to tty7, press
enter, and X gives this crash. I think I remember that you could tell
whether the session is "primed" by looking at the stty from another
terminal with sudo stty --file /dev/stty1 --all     , but the scroll-
lock sounds much better. Unfortunately I only have caps lock and num
lock lights.

I think your suggestion in 91 is interesting, but I guess there is the
speed issue, and there is the issue that if someone ever decides only to
run 5 tty's it won't be very obvious why gdm isn't starting.

Seems like a good work-around to me, though, until this is fixed.

--
Plymouth text-mode splash causes X to crash on first run due to shared tty7
which is subscribed to xorg-server in ubuntu.