I just installed KDE to see what happens when I boot into it. Everything
works fine in KDE except gnome applications. Firefox and Transmission
are still showing the same rendering issues, while Konqurer and all
native KDE aps show properly rendered fonts and themes. Also I cannot
load certain aps without them crashing. When I run Banshee for example
it just crashes after loading with the KDE theme and fonts. Only the
Gnome apps I had installed on my gnome desktop have issues and they will
only start with the theme and fonts rendered wrong. Installing KDE Full
or switching to Kubuntu seems like one possible option if they decide
not to repair what ever is causing this problem on our systems.

--
Meerkat (10.10) does not apply theme properly
which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers-180 in ubuntu.