On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 8:26 AM, Bryce Harrington <br...@canonical.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 08:16:53AM +0100, Geir Ove Myhr wrote:
>> > * ? - For Intel/KMS, we probably need to blacklist all the 8xx cards.
>> > ? ? ?Some of them might work, but users could then selectively use LBM
>> > ? ? ?(2.6.33) in those cases.
>> Could you elaborate on this? What does blacklisting mean in this case?
>> What kind of 8xx problems would blacklisting solve?
> Blacklisting KMS.  Although on reflection we need to blacklist and force
> to vesa.

This doesn't sound like something our 8xx users will be very happy
about. Is it the freeze problems [1] or other problems that is the
reason for blacklisting? Is it supposed to be only temporary? Wouldn't
it be better to stick with -intel 2.9.1 and re-enable UMS? Are there
any bugs that can only be solved by using 2.10.0?

Hardy was an LTS and the last version that supported the legacy i810
driver which saved the day for many computers. Wouldn't it make some
sense to make the next LTS (Lucid) the last version that support
legacy UMS?

[1]:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bugs?field.tag=845g%20freeze&field.tags_combinator=ALL
and
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bugs?field.tag=855gm%20freeze&field.tags_combinator=ALL

PS: Sorry about forgetting to reply to the list last time.

Geir Ove