On Mon, 2010-09-06 at 04:52 -0400, Eric Appleman wrote:
> Is Option 2 the shadow framebuffer approach that Chris suggested?
>
> - Eric

No.  As I mentioned in the preamble, that branch still has some
problems.  We also can't reasonably ship a branch of the intel X driver.

Option 2 is basically “let KMS bring up a bare framebuffer, and use the
dumb X framebuffer driver to draw to it”.

fbdev has even fewer features than vesa - it doesn't do modesetting *at
all*.  It'll just use the resolution that the kernel picked on boot.