On Wed, 2010-09-08 at 09:42 -0400, Eric Appleman wrote:
> On 09/06/2010 05:34 AM, Christopher James Halse Rogers wrote:
> > On Mon, 2010-09-06 at 04:52 -0400, Eric Appleman wrote:
> >> Is Option 2 the shadow framebuffer approach that Chris suggested?
> >>
> >> - Eric
> >>
> > No.  As I mentioned in the preamble, that branch still has some
> > problems.  We also can't reasonably ship a branch of the intel X driver.
> >
> > Option 2 is basically “let KMS bring up a bare framebuffer, and use the
> > dumb X framebuffer driver to draw to it”.
> >
> > fbdev has even fewer features than vesa - it doesn't do modesetting *at
> > all*.  It'll just use the resolution that the kernel picked on boot.
> Oh wow. This is going to be more troublesome than I thought. Is there
> really no courage in the ubuntu-x team to harass the Release Drivers for
> special freeze exemptions to get the proper fixes in? We have a month
> and yet we're already admitting defeat.

This would be easier if there *were* proper fixes.  There's a very large
kernel patch that touches infrastructure shared by all Intel drivers
that (mostly) fixes one of the big problems on the i855 chipset, and
does nothing for i845 users or i830 users.

There are a couple of -intel X driver branches seeking to address this,
the most recent of which (Chris Wilson's shadow branch) is not a lot
more than fbdev + modesetting support.  There's no 3D, and no 2D
acceleration there as far as I understand it.

> For the past few years, most notably with the KMS/GEM/UXA/DRI2
> transition and the move from -i810 to -intel, whenever a serious
> regression is discovered you guys have a tendency to throw up your arms
> and say "**** it, we'll handle it in the next dev cycle" and bodge
> together a rather unsavory workaround.

Yeah.  It's a balancing act.  We want to provide the best experience for
the most users, which means we want the new shiny, but without
regressing support for older hardware.  It's been hard.