Rob Landley wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 July 2007 08:58:30 Carmelo AMOROSO wrote:
>
>> Mike Frysinger wrote:

>>> no
>>>
>>> the only header that gets generated is bits/sysnum.h and the only thing
>>> that uses that is syscall.h ... which gcc doesnt use, so it isnt really
>>> too much of an issue ...
>>>
>> Hi Mike,
>> I'd like to come back to this issue because I've fallen in the same
>> problem while trying to build from scratch
>> a cross gcc (for SH4).
>>

> Build in this order:
>
> Binutils, gcc, linux "make headers_install", uClibc.
>
> This is the same _solution_ I gave yann.  You don't need a C library to build
> binutils or gcc.
But you need the headers from whatever ?libc you have, and 'make
headers" of uClibc, as currently work,
try run run gcc -E CPU_FLAGS to create sysnum.h, I never said to have
uClibc libraries to build gcc (C only).
This is the issue Yann raised time ago, the same I bumped into, that I
solved with the previous patch.

The correct stage to build a cross gcc from scratch are as Mike
reported, and works for me.
The same approach we use to have a cross toolchain for glibc.

"so the normal order is fine:

 - build/install binutils
 - install uClibc headers
 - install kernel headers
 - build C-only gcc
 - build/install uClibc
 - build C/C++/whatever gcc
"

Carmelo
>  You need binutils and gcc to build a C library.

Sure