Peter Kjellerstedt wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: uclibc-boun...@uclibc.org [mailto:uclibc-boun...@uclibc.org] On
Behalf Of Mike Frysinger
Sent: den 29 april 2009 18:59
To: uclibc@uclibc.org
Cc: busy...@busybox.net; buildr...@uclibc.org
Subject: Re: HEADS UP: svn->git transition

On Wednesday 29 April 2009 12:52:29 Bernd Schmidt wrote:
Bernhard Reutner-Fischer wrote:
git push -v --thin git+ssh://$usern...@uclibc.org/srv/git/uClibc.git
Huh.  Does git really work if multiple people push to the same
repository?  That's news to me.  All the online examples seem to
suggest using git push as a means to provide a git-pullable repository for others, but not for writing to a central repository.
afaik it should work fine.  if you try to push and someone else already
has, you'll get the typical "rejecting non-fast forward update".

That seems to be correct, I've reproduced this locally with some test repositories.

It works fine, but requires some discipline. E.g., the GStreamer
project uses git this way. One of the important things to remember when using a central git repository in this way is
to always rebase the local repository before pushing. Otherwise
you will end up with a lot of unnecessary merges.

So what are the steps once you get the error message mentioned above? I "git pull"ed after that and ended up with a merge.

Bernd
--
This footer brought to you by insane German lawmakers.
Analog Devices GmbH      Wilhelm-Wagenfeld-Str. 6      80807 Muenchen