On Thu, 2007-09-27 at 10:05 -0600, Eftimovski, Ivica wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> I did install cygwin UNIX style and DOS style with trying to fix that, but to
> no resolve. Also anytime edited any of the makefiles I had to remember to
> save it UNIX style. If not, the compile will fail, and I would loose time
> trying to find the error in the source code thinking that the error is there.
> It is not fun to recompile uClinux over and over just because of stupid petty
> differences in text style.
> Cygwin is a nice emulator, I use it for ARM development for our product line
> that has nowhere close as much makefiles and .configs as uClinux. But I would
> recommend doing uClinux development on linux box or virtual machine.

We use Cygwin for development for VxWorks embedded systems (ARM7TDMI) in
order to support our customers who wish to develop their own custom
applications using a Windows box (we do our internal development using
Solaris or Linux). Cygwin works just fine and we have never had a
problem with either makefiles or C source files.

That said, whenever I am working on software, whether or not I think
I'll be developing it on Windows (I try to stick to a Linux environment
for many reasons), I always save the files using UNIX line endings. The
UNIX style is more universal (it was M$ that changed it years ago with
DOS) and does not cause problems. The IDEs and editors that I use in
Linux and Windows all support saving UNIX style (can be set as the
default).

I suspect the problem is not with Cygwin itself, but with either the way
you configured Cygwin when it was installed, or with the editior(s) or
tools you are using.

PGA
--
The information contained in this e-mail message is confidential,
intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above.  If

Paul G. Allen
Software Engineer BSIT/SE
Quake Global, Inc.
858-277-7290 x285