Quoth Robert Warner:
> I'm looking into the prospect of preloading all of the necessary tables
> for applications and kernel such that when the device is turned on it
> doesn't boot it just starts executing as if it had already gone through
> all the booting and application(s) initialization(s).  Has this aspect
> of system operation with Linux or uCLinux ever been discussed?  Search
> the web i see instant-on with respect to BIOS (Linux-BIOS) and
> SlapshTop's Linux (DeviceVM).

While it's not quite what you're asking for here (and it assumes you've
either got an "explicit shutdown" path rather than simply losing power or
you don't mind restoring an earlier state) you could look into the
hibernation feature.

But some initialisation is unavoidable, since you have to reconfigure the
hardware.